Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Language of Beer

Neil and I visited Belgium about a year ago. It is a beer lover's paradise. First rate beer and chocolate- not to mention a culture of serious foodies. What more could anyone ask for? You just have to love a culture whose idea of a quick snack is mussels and cream sauce. I realize all other European countries have their own private jokes about Belgium, but the truth is- they are just jealous. Belgium really has it all and that is why I want to be Belgian. Almost everybody in Belgium speaks at least 3 languages, Flemish (Dutch), French, German, English and usually a couple of others. This made me feel really silly and language-challenged. While taking in some exceptional beer in Bruges, we struck up a conversation with this really nice local lady. We asked her what the etiquette was for language and who spoke what language, where, etc. She replied that although most people spoke french and Flemish, you had to speak Flemish to become a citizen. This was all I needed to hear, hence, Flemish lessons. I couldn't find any podcasts in Flemish so Dutch is the next closest thing. Here's the website: http://www.lauraspeaksdutch.info/?paged=3
Check out Episode #26 and #27. I wish I had found this before I went to Belgium! While delivering some completely impossible-to-pronounce Dutch phrases, he gives a very brief but informative history of Belgium, and then goes into a little description of the language issues there. In episode #27 he explains how to say some really helpful things in Dutch like, "Thank you" "What kind of food should I order?" and "What Beer should I order with this meal?" not to mention explaining how to say "waterzooi". Perhaps, some day I will actually learn to speak Flemish and become an honorary Belgian. I dare to dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget they also have crazy-ass licorice!

Jeanna said...

Licorice you say? I thought the Australians had that market cornered.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.