Thursday, March 6, 2008

In Pursuit of Fiber



Sometimes I want a little something to eat besides meat. No matter what those anti-carb freaks say, bread is always a good choice. Until just recently, I've been a miserable failure at bread baking. Without describing all the lumpy, pathetic attempts, I will tell you this: what usually comes out after kneading, proofing, shaping, rising again, and baking never seems particularly worth the effort, time and clean up. Then Lynne Rosetto-Kasper of The Splendid Table saved my life. As some of you know, I have had one leg in a cast for the last five weeks. No doubt about it, this truly sucks. I don't watch any TV, so I pass a lot of my time listening to stuff online and checking out other people's blogs. A couple weeks ago Lynne's show featured the authors of "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day", J. Hertzberg and Z. Francois. Lynne was good enough to post the basic recipe on her website http://www.splendidtable.org/ . I couldn't hobble out to the kitchen fast enough to try it! This is a truly easy way to make bread especially if you're like me and refuse to buy a bread machine. No kneading, No proofing, No raising dough! The dough is kept in the refrigerator until you decide to bake as little or as much as you want, whenever you want, for up to two weeks! I urge you to try this recipe. It is a life changing experience. The photo above is an example of the tasty rye bread recipe, which Neil now claims is the only bread he will ever need. I haven't bought supermarket bread now in over a month. But that may be have more to do with the fact that my butt is permanently grafted to the couch......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That recipe truly is a gift from the heavens. I made a batch of dough last week and let it sit on the counter while I went out to run errands. When I came back, it had morphed into an alien lifeform and oozed over the bowl onto the countertop. It was deeelish.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue:

I'm Jeff Hertzberg, one of the co-authors of the book Lynne featured. Thanks for trying our method and book. If you have any questions, visit us at www.artisanbreadinfive.com and post to any of the "Comments" fields. We usually answer within a day or two.

Jeff Hertzberg