Saturday, July 19, 2008

Not too hot to bake!

Today it is 95 in the shade. Definitely not the kind of day you'd want to be baking bread. But, I confess dear readers, this is what I am up to. Remember way back when I told you all about the 5 minute artisan bread recipe? Well, I am still baking bread- in fact, I can't stop! It is a personal crusade of mine to not buy bread from the store if I can help it. But since it's so hot, I have discovered that I can bake bread in my grill with the top down. This, I actually discovered this past winter when, I broke the stove. How do you break a stove, you ask? Well, you take it apart so well you can't get it back together again! This left us with no stove for over two weeks while we waited for our new one to arrive. It was an interesting psychological experiment though because, having no stove, it turns out, instantly transforms me into a raving lunatic. The minute I didn't have a working oven all I could think of to eat were things that had to be baked, broiled, or roasted. One day, in a moment of desperation, I just threw the baking stone on a medium high grill and when it heated up to about 450, I put the bread in and cooked until done! Surprisingly enough, it turned out great. This method is now my preferred way to bake bread in the summer so I don't have to heat up the house with 450 degree oven. So far, I have had good results with the white/wheat french loaf, oat bran bread, rolls, and even challah (in a loaf pan)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are one crazy ucka to be baking bread on a day like this. I just tagged you for a meme. Check out my blog for the details.