Saturday, May 24, 2008

Radish Sandwich

Radishes, I am told, are a traditional European accompaniment to beer. Germans and Belgians in particular. I always wondered how this worked. Do they just serve big ol' piles of radishes layed out on a plate? Since the radishes I planted earlier this spring are ready for harvest, I was just dying to know how to serve them appropriately with beer. That's when Lynne Rossetto Kasper's Splendid Table, a public radio show about food, came to my rescue with a recipe for a Belgian tartine. I discovered The Splendid Table this winter while I was sacked out on the couch with my foot in a cast. Since then, I have been whipping through the podcast archive and subsequently boring my friends and family with fascinating factoids from the show. So much so, that I have shortened "The Splendid Table" to just "the S.T." The thing is, that the show seems to read my mind. I think about radishes and beer, and there's Lynne with a recipe. I wonder what to do with all my leftover goose fat- Lynne is suddenly full of suggestions. Anyhow, I heard Lynne mention a radish sandwich, or tartine, as perfect accompaniment to beer. You better belive my ears perked up! Here's her recipe: basically cut up some crusty bread, and spread it with a soft, tasty cheese- I chose goat cheese because that was what I had around. Thinly slice radishes and fan them over the top of your bread and cheese. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Problem solved! Delicious! Lynne suggested a Belgian wit beer, but we have Schneider Edel Weiss on tap and I must say it seemed to do the trick!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Czechs do the same w/ (unsalted) butter and salt on the bread - usually the typical "sumavsky" bread, a light sour dough rye ...