Monday, April 14, 2008

Bacon Martinis?


A friend of Hops and Chops expressed serious interest in Bacon Salt so I decided to give it a try. Dave and Justin, the "bacontreprenuers" behind Bacon Salt, kindly sent me some samples. I have to say that I do love their slogan- "Everything Should Taste Like Bacon". And they do have a point, bacon does make almost everything taste better. But does Bacon Salt make everything taste better? Well, I am not so sure. Here's the deal- if you like bacon bits or Bacos- you will love bacon salt. The salt comes in Original, Hickory, and Peppered flavors. I tried the hickory salt on my baked potato, and it was tasty enough. The next day I tried the original flavor on my eggs but I just found myself pining for real bacon. Of the four flavors- I definitely like the Hickory flavor the best. If you are dieting, and can't have real bacon I can see where this would be really handy. Take a look at Dave and Justin's Bacon Salt recipes at http://baconsalt.com/recipes/. They have compiled a bunch of really appealing recipes that would be terrific for the bacon-deprived. Since Bacon Salt is also vegetarian, it seems like the perfect thing to put on items like tofu, T.V.P., or vegetarian chili to add some meaty flavor to otherwise tasteless icky stuff. This makes me think of my sister, who, for many years, was a devout vegetarian- except that she ate bacon. When I tell people this story, I have found that she was not the only "vegetarian" to make this exception. There is just something magical and undeniably delicious about bacon. Even people who don't eat meat can't deny it. Perhaps Bacon Salt is the answer for these heretical bacon-eating vegetarians.

Being a health foodie, my biggest beef with this product is the ingredient list which is over 40 items long and includes MSG, artificial colors, and artificial flavorings. However, I do find myself dreaming of a maple-flavored martini with bacon salt around the rim. If only I had a maple-bacon flavored lollipop to stir this with....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, pray tell, is that sitting on the rim? It looks like a pink plastic avocado slice.

Ms. Chops said...

well if you must know it's a piece of pickled egg! MMMM I can't wait for more!

Anonymous said...

Bacon _is_ the food of the gods, but I'm not so sure about this. Why not just make some bacon if you're craving it?

Homer to Lisa, on finding out that she was becoming vegitarian: "No more meat? No bacon? Or Ham? or Pork Chops?
Lisa: Dad! Those all come from one animal!
Homer (patronizingly): Sure Lisa - a wonderful, magical animal!

Ms. Chops said...

Yes, I agree just fry up some bacon! Homer is right, as usual.

Russ said...

Frying up bacon takes time and dedication. Including resisting the temptation to just make the whole damn package. Bacon Salt give us the flavor without all of the above.

Long live Homer Simpson!!